By Nairaland Forum Before I go into the details of how you can land the job you want in any market – no matter the economic situation – I have something to tell you. And that’s that you need to have a clear understanding of why your current job search strategy of looking for jobs online cannot work in this modern age. Here are some of the reasons why you may have to rethink searching for jobs online.
1. Technology has made it easy for everyone and anyone to submit a job application; hence, you’re competing with thousands of qualified and unqualified candidates.
2. Everyone is job hunting, including those that have jobs. It’s funny but true. Not everyone is satisfied with their current job.
3. The average time employees stay in one job is two years, so a growing number of candidates bid for a single job opening.
4. 70% of all jobs are not posted online. You have to build the necessary network to learn about job openings.
5. Most people don’t sell themselves during the application process.
6. You could be inadvertently sending the wrong impression.
7. Applying for highly competitive roles without industry connections/referrals could be a waste of your precious time. Referrals are getting more important in the selection process than ever before.
The Complete Short Guide You Need to Help You Land your Dream Job
There’s a different way to go about online job applications. If you want to beat the competition and get the job you’ve always wanted, here are some tips to significantly increase your chances of landing the job.
1. Submit A Tailored CV
One of the first things to tweak is your CV. You have to stop the lazy habit of sending out generalized or roughly prepared CVs. If you want to land a job among the sea of applicants, your CV must speak well of you. By merely scanning through a CV, hiring managers can know if you worked hard and smart on it. Therefore, hack #1 is to create and submit a tailored, made application. Now, bear in mind that your CV must include optimized keywords specific to the job you’re applying for. Including optimized keywords will help your CV pass the ATS screening and get to the recruiter’s table. Without optimized keywords, you can as well kiss the job goodbye.
2. Find Out Who the Hiring Manager Is
Don’t just blindly apply for a job online Read More
Source:: Nigerian Chatter